Sunday, September 16, 2007

Top signs you are a foreigner

Thank you for the comments on my previous post. I did indeed leave out the fact that locals are very comfortable with breathing secondhand smoke. Last week, I watched guy get into an elevator car while holding a lit cigarette. I decided not to get on. I'm sure he thought I was crazy. This brings me to a natural follow-up to the previous post: how people can tell that you are a foreigner in China, even if you are of Chinese descent (like me) and don't even open your mouth.

You are wearing flip flops or shorts. Chinese men don't wear shorts, at least not outside in public. Wearing nice shoes or sneakers can also give you away.

You drink Diet Coke. While sugar-free drinks are increasing in popularity, they are still purchased mostly by foreigners.

You don't pull your shirt up to your chest to keep cool. Check out this guy sporting the latest summer trend.

You react when people say, "Watch? Bag? Gucci, LV?"

You're chewing gum. Don't know why, but I rarely see any gum chewing, even though it's sold in every convenience store.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was in China, I definitely noticed the haircuts too. You have an American haircut. Well, maybe you did until you let that salon in Shanghai give you a perm.