Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl Sunday

It’s Sunday, February 4th here in China. In the US, it would be Super Bowl Sunday. But here on the other side of the international date line, it’s simply the day before the Monday on which the Super Bowl occurs. To be clear, I am deeply saddened by this. I love watching football (Katie can attest to this). And I absolutely love the Chicago Bears. After years of middling performance, they have finally made it to the big game just as I leave the country.

The good news is that I know I'll be able to watch the game. Not only do I have my SlingBox, but it is also being broadcast on CCTV – the state-run television station. The real issue is going to be timing and atmosphere. Kickoff will be 7:30 AM on Monday morning, not exactly ideal since I have to go to work. Also, there will be no pizza, nachos, or the chips and dip that will make the game complete. Besides, CCTV will surely not broadcast American commercials. I will definitely watch the game even if it means I have to watch from work on a 12-inch laptop screen, but I don’t know how much I’ll enjoy it, especially if the Bears lose.

On a related note, the NFL is coming to China. A pre-season game is scheduled for this fall in Beijing between the Patriots and the Seahawks. I wonder if tickets are on sale yet…

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The only thing that would make the super bowel (sic) better would be if the Chiefs were in it.. Dream on. I'll be rooting on the bears for you because I hate Peyton Manning!! Last nite there was a special on famous super bowl commercials. Number one was the Mean Joe Greene Pepsi(or was it Coke?) and jersey give-away spot. Hope you can see this year's ads. By the way, you need to model some of the fancy duds that you have purchased...Bob

John Chen said...

I bet you will love to see Patriot in Beijin. Hope is not at time of your sis' wedding John

Anonymous said...

Speaking of American TV, you may be able to watch Grey's Anatomy on CCTV someday: http://www.pacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=P88695